The pandemic reminds me how helpless we are to control certain circumstances in which we live. But estate planning is an aspect of your life that you can control — no matter what is going on around you. We urge you to double check your estate planning documents and contact us if you have changes you want to make or have questions.
If you do not have an estate plan, or your estate plan is old and does not reflect your current wishes, it is still possible to take are of this important matter even during the current crisis. Please read on to learn how we are working through the crisis and continuing to operate.
WE ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
Khalsa Law Firm, P.C. is open for business. We are here for the long term to support our clients and help those in need of planning. Our team is secure, and everyone is stepping up to go the extra mile for our clients.
Here’s what’s going on.
Gov. Cuomo’s stay-at-home order required non-essential businesses to close. Although now allowed to open, in an abundance of caution to protect the health of our team and our clients, we’ve close the office. Effective March 15, 2020 The Khalsa Law Firm, P.C. staff began working from home. What does that mean for our clients?
- Our business hours are the same. Monday – Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Incoming phone calls are still answered by a live person.
- You can email staff directly or use firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need to get paperwork to us, please mail it to 440 East 23rd Street, Suite 9F, New York, New York 10010. This is our corresponding address until further notice.
ENSURE YOUR BASIC ESTATE PLANNING IS DONE AND UP TO DATE
Every adult (over age 18) should have at least these three basic documents, regardless of their wealth or health:
- Healthcare Power of Attorney allows your agent to make medical decisions for you (in consultation with your physicians) if you were unable to make those decisions for yourself.
- Power of Attorney for Property (financial assets and real estate) allows your agent to pay your bills and make other time-sensitive decisions during a period of your incapacity.
- HIPAA authorizes those you designate to access your protected health information.
If you’re already a Khalsa Law Firm, P.C. estate planning client, no worry! You have these documents as part of your estate plan. If you have friends or family who have not taken any steps toward estate planning, we can have these core documents done pretty quickly, if not a full estate plan. Contact us by phone, email, or through our website.
Do you have young adult children? Moms and Dads, your child may be legally an adult, but she may still be dependent on you. If not financially, then in case of illness or injury. But do you realize that once your children reach age of majority (18 years old in New York), you no longer have the legal right to talk to their doctors, make medical decisions for them, or take care of their personal and financial affairs if they should become sick?
The law provides a way that you can be there for your young adult children in times like this. The above documents, plus a special DocuBank program, are the solution. Contact us for information.
ESTATE PLANNING CONSULTATIONS, MEETINGS, & WORKSHOPS
We’re not letting the pandemic get in the way of our mission – helping people gain peace of mind.
- Consultations – Thanks to modern technology, we have flexible options to meet with you or your family virtually. The amazing Zoom application is easy and flexible — almost like being in the same room together! Whether you’re already a Khalsa Law Firm, P.C. client and need to talk about updates, or you are looking for a law firm to serve your needs now and in the future, chances are you have extra time on your hands. This is a great time to take care of this important matter. Call or email email@example.com, or visit our website to inquire about an appointment.
- Seminars/Webinars – We have put steps in place to offer our popular and informative Wills & Trusts Seminars from the safety of home, so our community can continue to stay informed about their estate planning and incapacity options. For many, our educational webinars are the first step to creating their estate plan. I promise you’ll look at estate planning differently than ever before. You’ll learn valuable information and have an opportunity for a free, no-obligation Personal Consultation about what is important to you and how the principles discussed in the workshop apply to you.
- Client Educational Workshops – We are known for our unique client workshops, our Trustee and Power of Attorney School, and the one-of-a-kind workshop, “8 Deadly Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Estate Planning – How Clients Routinely Destroy Their Estate Plans… and What to Do About It.” We are working on webinar presentations of both workshops. Check our website, and if you’re already a client watch your email inbox. This is a great time to get better informed, and for your future fiduciaries (Trustees, Executors, Power of Attorney Agents) to prepare for the future through interactive learning.
Thank you for your trust and confidence and continuing to be a client and friend of the firm. Our thoughts are with those being affected hardest during this time. I also wish to express my gratitude for the strong leadership from New York Government, the brave doctors and medical personnel who put their health and lives on the line to help COVID-19 patients, and our youth who are stepping up to help and be leaders. Thanks to all of you.
We remain committed to your Health, Happiness and Legacy. Best wishes and stay healthy.
Founder, Khalsa Law Firm, P.C.